Sunday, February 26, 2012


DIY Gel Manicure




I'm super excited to share this review! Today I made a trip to Ulta and Sally Beauty Supply to purchase my first at home gel polish kit. I initially wanted to try Red Carpet Manicure's whole line, but some of the products at Ulta were out of stock. With me being the impatient person that i am, i didn't want to wait for them to get a shipment or order online, so i purchased the RCM LED light ($49) and then made a trip to Sally's to check out the Harmony Gelish line. The starter kit was more expensive ($44 with beauty card), but i was able to get it today, so i bought it, along with one color, and was on my way. 

I was already wearing OPI Axxium Gel from my last salon trip, so i used 100% acetone and soaked it off with the tin foil method. Next, i filed, buffed, and cleaned up my cuticles... and then i was ready to go! 
First I started off with the "nail surface cleanse" and a paper towel. It's just a quick rub on each nail to make sure it's clean before you begin applying products. Then i applied the "pH Bond" followed by a layer of the "foundation". I placed my fingers into the LED light for about 15 seconds and then applied the color (rendezvous). One coat and then about 30 seconds in the LED light and repeat. As explained in the instructions, my nails were still tacky, but they said it was normal so i continued. I put on a coat of "Top it off" and placed back into the light for another 30 seconds. Now that the polish process was done, i repeated with the "Nail Surface Cleanse" and finished with the "Nourish" cuticle oil around my nails. 



I'm so pleased with the results! The total price of the system is what i would pay for about 2 trips to the salon, so after one more application, it would have paid for itself. The starter kit came with step by step instructions that were super easy to follow. This was such a quick process, and i'm sure i will get even faster the more i use it. As far as durability and how long lasting the polish actually is, i'm not sure, so i'll have to post an update later =) I can't wait to buy more colors and start experimenting, but for now, i'm super happy with the outcome! Hope you guys enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment